- Around 1 in 3 people in the UK have short-sightedness or myopia
- - Mild myopia includes powers of up to -3.00 dioptres
- - Moderate myopia includes powers of -3.00 to -6.00 dioptres
- - High myopia is usually over -6.00 dioptres
- Myopia can be accompanied by some degree of astigmatism. It can develop at any age, however it does have a tendancy to start in childhood or teenage years.
- Close work and reading can sometimes be undertaken without aids but driving a car or watching television is difficult.
- Headaches, eyestrain and fatigue are common complaints about short-sightedness, especially after prolonged periods of certain visual tasks.
Causes of Short-sightedness (Myopia)
Myopia is common and is seen in about a third of the British population to varying degrees. Approximately 5% of these are considered 'high myopes'.
The cornea, the clear window at the front of the eye, accounts for up to 80% of the focusing power of the eye. It is this part of the eye that can be altered through laser eye surgery to alter the refractive properties of the eye and thereby reduce the near-sightedness in the eyes.
We at AccuVision offer specifically tailored treatments for all degrees of myopia. We are able to correct short-sightedness up to -14.00 dioptres. We are able to combine treatments for astigmatism too if the patient suffers from both conditions. See our treatment options for more details at AccuVision .
How is Short-sightedness treated at AccuVision ?
The first step in the treatment of short-sightedness is for the patient to attend a 'no obligation' consultation.
The diagnostics undertaken during this consultation determine the most appropriate treatment plan that will permanently alter the shape of the cornea and thereby change the refractive power of the cornea and eliminate the condition of short-sightedness.
The Alcon Wavelight laser systems used at AccuVision clinics is state of art technology. In the hands of our clinical team, it consistently delivers precise outcomes for patients with moderate to high levels of short-sightedness. This is achieved due to the 'tissue saving' properties of the laser and our 'thin flap' treatment plans.
Please read through some of the testimonials of patients that have chosen AccuVision for their treatment of short-sightedness. To understand further if laser eye surgery is suitable for your problem and whether you are eligible for laser eye treatment, please feel free to browse through our website.