News & Views
- Laser Eye Surgery for Sports PeopleFebruary 24th, 2017Whether you’re a professional sportsperson or keen amateur, you know how essential good vision is to success. Find out more about some of the sporting champions that have benefited from Laser Eye Surgery with AccuVision.
- Interview with Richard DunwoodyFebruary 9th, 2017Richard Dunwoody, retired champion jockey and passionate photographer, had Laser Eye Surgery to improve his distance vision. Here he explains why he chose AccuVision and his positive experience with us.
- Interview with Liz Thorne, Sky Sports Production ManagerAugust 19th, 2016Production Manager for Sky Sports’ cricket coverage Liz Thorne faces constant demands on her vision, from dark mobile studios to bright sunlight, and filming in all sorts of weathers all over the world.
- On Thin Ice with laser eye surgery patient Tess BurrowsAugust 19th, 2016From high altitude climbs to trekking in sub-zero temperatures. Tess Burrows has conquered some of the world’s most inhospitable terrain. Heavily reliant on contact lenses, she opted for Laser Eye Surgery for a gruelling trek to the South Pole.
- Precision vision is essential for precision sportsAugust 19th, 2016Olympic Silver Medallist Stuart Bithell explains how his Laser Eye Surgery with AccuVision has dramatically improved not just his vision but his accuracy, speed and performance in the fast-paced, demanding sport of sailing racing.
- Interview with Hannah MillsJuly 30th, 2016When getting facefuls of saltwater every day is part of your job, wearing glasses can prove tricky. Here we speak to Hannah Mills, professional sailor and Olympic silver medallist, about how her life has been changed by her recent Laser Eye Surgery.
- Allan Williams sets sight on new heightsMarch 7th, 2011Allan Williams the most successful British Masters polevaulter has just set a new British Indoor record. Since his multifocal laser eye surgery in 2009 Allan has enjoyed great clear distance and near vision.
- To See or Not to See...That was the questionFebruary 7th, 2011American, Jim Barrett has trusted his blurry eyes to laser eye surgery TWICE. The first time it went very wrong for him in the US. 12 years later, after years of in depth research he found a clinic, he believed he could trust again. The problem was, they were in London!
- Don't suffer higher levels of hyperopiaAugust 19th, 2010
Don't suffer higher levels of hyperopia (longsight) when you can radically improve your vision
Many people today continue to accept high levels of long-sightedness and astigmatism just because their optician tells them there is no solution for their vision. These patients do not have to accept their vision as it is and could easily seek an improvement in their vision that could have radical consequences for their future.
AccuVision have recently treated two young people who unfortunately have had to cope with high levels of long-sight and astigmatism for a number of years. These are important case studies as they demonstrate what can be achieved by advanced laser eye surgery technology and a highly experienced clinical team, as you would find at AccuVision and patients who have a realistic expectation of their changed vision.
People with severe longsight prescriptions suffer from blurry vision at all distances, especially for close work, which can lead to headaches and tiredness. The causes of hyperopia are varied, it could be that the eye ball itself is shorter than average. Or the cornea (the clear window at the front of the eye) is too flat and is unable to 'refract' the light enough to correctly focus at the back of the eye. Long-sightedness can be an inherited condition or could also be caused in association with other conditions.
AccuVision have treated thousands of patients with hyperopia and are able to radically improve their vision following AccuWave LASIK treatment. The first patient we treated recently was a gentleman named Liam, who is 23 years old. He had a prescription of +12.50 and -4.00 astigmatism in both eyes which meant that he relied on yearly contact lenses to see and work every day.
The main problem Liam had was that he was having to clean his contact lenses all the time due to his work environment which meant that they would break and he would have to keep replacing them and this was very frustrating for him. Liam came to see AccuVision for the first time in October 2013 on recommendation from his Uncle and Aunt. Following a very detailed examination of Liam's eyes AccuVision were able to confirm that a treatment plan to radically reduce his hyperopic prescription could be safely undertaken.
The aim was to improve his overall vision and move him out of the more expensive and complex contact lenses he was currently having to wear. Liam saved up for the treatment and was able to proceed in June 2014. He followed the after care regime very carefully to avoid any dry eye issues and also attended all his after-care appointments so that his recovery could be closely monitored.
The results for Liam have been life-changing. He is now wearing daily soft contact lenses and has been able to take on more varied work projects which has meant a significant increase in income. After only 3 months, the treatment has already paid for itself. At Liam's 3 month check up his prescription has altered to just +5.50 with no astigmatism enabling him to wear simple soft lenses to fully correct his vision.
A second patient by the name of Laura aged 24 had been tolerating a prescription of +6.00 with astigmatism. She was told by her high street opticians that she would “never ever be able to correct her +6.00 vision with astigmatism” and this upset her and she began to think she would always to be dependent on spectacles and contact lenses her entire life.
A friend told her about AccuVision who specialise in the treatment of more complex prescriptions. After a very comprehensive evaluation and with realistic expectations being set the AccuVision clinical team confirmed that Laura would be treatable. Treatment was undertaken in May 2014 and Laura followed our post-operative advice and attended all her after-care appointments. Six months after the treatment Laura is now glasses free and finds it hard to believe that she ever used to rely on them for clear vision.
If you have a hyperopic prescription or know someone who has and is finding life with contacts or glasses a challenge then maybe a visit to AccuVision could put them on the right path to much improved vision.
You can read Liam and Laura's testimonial here:
- Keratoconus - a new option for patientsSeptember 7th, 2009Consultant Ophthalmologist Chad Rostron, Medical Director at Accuvision, explains a new treatment for keratoconus and its implications for patients and optometrists.
- Latest Laser Eye Surgery Treatment available in Solihull BirminghAugust 18th, 2009
- Optician Magazine Reports on New Keratoconus TreatmentJuly 23rd, 2009Optician Magazine has reported on a seminar detailing new developments with keratoconus treatments from Accuvision
- BBC Two's On Thin Ice with laser eye surgery patient Tess BurrowsJuly 14th, 2009Ben Fogle and James Cracknell were not the only British team to face the harsh South Pole in the BBC2 programme 'On Thin Ice' Britain's Tess Burrows was also standing up to the elements and benefiting from her new found vision!
- British record broken twice in 8 days!July 14th, 2009Allan Williams, the UK's leading pole Master's vaulter in the 55-60 year age group has broken his own British record twice in a week!
- Laser Eye Surgery for Sports PeopleJune 22nd, 2009Laser eye surgery is becoming a popular choice to enhance performance at all levels of sport.